Planning Permission – Applications and Submissions

When it comes to making changes to your home or office building one of the first questions we are asked is “Do I need planning permission?”

The answer to that is it depends upon what you are building or changing within your existing building.Planning Permission - Applications and Submissions

Planning permission exists to protect the best of our heritage, our architecture and our lands and to ensure that any new buildings or new building works only improve upon existing infrastructure.

Your local planning authority or LPA,  is responsible for granting planning permission.  They, ultimately, have the final say on whether any new building works can go ahead.

Re:design London architects can arrange all necessary planning permission for house plans, garden rooms, extensions, loft conversions, garage conversions and conservatories for all our clients in London.  We can also seek planning permission on your behalf for all construction of new buildings, substantial alterations or fundamental changes of use within buildings which require planning permission.

If you have already an idea of your project and just need a price guideline, Call us on
020 8166 1531 or contact our team.

Permitted Development

Some minor building works, known as permitted development, do not require planning permission.  Building works fall under the definition of permitted development if the impact of the works on neighbours or the surrounding environment will be small.  Please note, however, that permitted development rights do not apply to flats or maisonettes, but only to houses.

For example, you do not need planning permission for conservatories, providing they are within a certain size.  Nor do you normally need planning permission for sheds.  Likewise, in most cases you don’t need planning permission for garage construction or extensions. Under regulations which came into effect on 1 October 2008, all outbuildings are considered to be permitted development and do not, therefore, require planning permission.

The need to apply for planning permission for loft conversion has recently been removed too for most loft conversions.  We can advise you if this is the case for your loft conversion.

Likewise, in most cases you no longer need planning permission for extensions as most rear-extensions have now also been exempted from planning permission.

If you are unsure whether or not your intended project would fall under permitted development rights we would be delighted to advise you.

What are Permitted Development Rights

Permitted Development Rights are changes and additions you can make to your home without having to apply to your local authority for planning permission.   In some cases, the Local Authority might have removed or altered the Permitted Development Rights in your area, which is why it is always important to consult with the Local Authority before beginning any building project.  We will liaise with the local authority for you.

Do I Need Planning Permission?

That depends on what you intend to build or alter and the local permitted development rights.  As responsible London architects we always advise our clients to check with your local authority before doing any work.  At re:design we will contact the Local Authority on your behalf to obtain any planning permissions that are required.

What Type of Permission?

For most works to an existing house, the only permission needed is Householder Planning Consent.  This is sufficient for plans to enlarge a house, change the interior layout of the house or do building works within the boundary/garden of a house.

Full Planning Consent

If you are carrying out major development work, building in, on, over or under land and or making a change in the use of the building, you will need to obtain full planning consent before commencing your project.

As per government regulations, which can be found in full here:  you will ALWAYS need full planning consent for:

  • Any works relating to a flat
  • Applications to change the number of dwellings (flat conversions, building a separate house in the garden)
  • Changes of use to part or all of the property to non-residential (including business) uses
  • Anything outside the garden of the property (including stables if in a separate paddock)

Again, if full consent is needed we can obtain this for you.

 If you have already an idea of your project and just need a price guideline, Call us on
020 8166 1531 or contact our team.